The primary objective of this program is to combine formal training with the individual's personal field experience. An NCSO provides a valuable resource to management in the administration and implementation of the company's Health & Safety Program.
Certification indicates that the participant has practical knowledge in various construction-related Health & Safety management skills and principles.
The participant must have a minimum of 3 years field experience in the construction industry to receive certification as an NCSO.
To obtain NCSO status, you must successfully complete certification in 13 of the courses listed in the NCSO information package.
➔ Acquired Skills
This program will enable participants to:
- Assist management in the administration, implementation and maintenance of a Health & Safety management system
- Identify and review various Health & Safety concerns specific to the worksite
- Communicate effectively with government, management and workers regarding Health & Safety, on and off the job
Contact Registrations in Edmonton, Calgary or Fort McMurray for course registration. For online registrations click here
➔ Program Outline
|Compulsory Courses (11)||Elective Courses (any 2)|
- Alberta Legislation Awareness
- Principles of Health & Safety Management
- Auditor Training Program (Certificate of completion)
- Leadership for Safety Excellence (LSE Proficiency level certified) - Sample forms
- WHMIS Train-the-trainer
- Construction Safety Administration*
- Basic Instructional Techniques
- Prime Contractor
- Confined Space Entry/Monitor (must be OSSA accredited)
- An industry safety orientation (any one of the following):
- Construction Safety Training System (CSTS)
- Roadbuilders Construction Safety Training System (RSTS)
- Pipeline Construction Safety Training (PCST)
- Electrical Safety Training System (ESTS)
- Standard First Aid - Two (2) day training (the ACSA does not provide First Aid training please visit the Alberta Human Services website for approved First Aid training facilities)
Provide a copy of your current Standard First Aid certificate to be put on your ACSA file.
- Flag Train-the-trainer
- TDG Train-the-trainer
- Back Injury Prevention
- Alcohol, Drugs and Safety
- Construction Environmental Awareness
- Effective Claims Management
- Safe Trenching, Excavation & Ground Disturbance
- Fall Protection Planning
- Safety Culture - Roadmap to "Zero"
- Alberta Temporary Traffic Control
- Alberta Temporary Traffic Control - Field Applications
- CCA Mould Awareness
- Scaffolding Awareness
- Hazard Management
* Alberta OH&S Legislation Awareness, Principles of Health & Safety Management, Auditor Training, Leadership for Safety Excellence, WHMIS Train-the-Trainer, Prime Contractor, Basic Instructional Techniques and Confined Space Entry/Monitor must be completed before taking the Construction Safety Administration course.
The participant must submit a Letter of Experience from their employer(s) verifying a minimum of 3 years field experience in the construction industry.
To register in the NCSO program, log in to the Student Services Portal and click on "NCSO/HSA Registration".
for National Construction Safety Officer (NCSO) information in PDF.
for Experience Letter Requirements and templates in PDF format.